Monday, June 20, 2011

Iowa?...Eww...

  The title of this blog is dedicated to the guy whose reaction was just that when I said I was from that speck in the midwest.  Okay, maybe he didn't really say "eww" but there was a groan...as if he even knew where Iowa was?! Please, don't say "eww" unless you can point to it on a map...His answer: "I have a general idea."
  Not. Good. Enough!
  This was the trend of my first day at work.  When I introduced myself I got either, "cool" or "is that like your last name?"  Um, like, no.  But hey I am used to the question by now so no biggie ;)  Lets get to the good stuff.
  Of course I arrived like an hour early because I can't judge trains-not my fault since the stupid F train wasn't running this weekend-but I'd rather be early than late...minus, I did sweat more than needed...but besides the stains I got some financial stuff figured out and walked past Celia Keenan-Bolger, ------------>
who was looking extra Meryl Streep "The Devil Wears Prada" with her bug-eyed glasses that shielded any light from her usually perky-appearing demeanor.  Then I entered the building, rode the elevator until I wandered into work.....
  Having been around a minimum of like 3 or 4 other interns at my last job(s) the new like 12 or 15 was quite the shocker.  Oh and of course I am the newbie, soooo yea! (sarcasmmmmm)  First job of this trip: remembering everyones' name...yeah, good luck me.  But for the most part everyone was super friendly with a hint of that competitive atmosphere smooshed in there.  I got the debriefing of the ways of the office and read through the "need to knows" before actually getting to try my hand at an official project...which lasted the last half of the day.  To say my ass wasn't numb by 6pm would be the biggest understatement I've said...ever.  Thankfully, teamwork prevailed and we got the thing done and were rewarded by *drum roll* being able to leave on time.
  Side Notes:  Subways are still my preferred way of transportation, super efficient (usually) and you only sweat for a bit because they have air conditioning (again, usually).  For anyone who says they get bored here is a liar because seriously walk outside and stare at people.  It is the most fun you'll have outside of having friends...which will be a next step of mine...Make more friends. And stay poor. Don't get poorer...But before I make that rule official I am off to buy a awesome Buffy t-shirt I stumbled upon online.

Thanks for stopping by! Later kids.

1 comment: